Peter Dee grew up on a farm in Co. Kerry, moving to Dublin in his early twenties. Peter’s natural talent, obvious from his early sketches and paintings and developed over the years, he has achieved a recognised and highly regarded expertise. Still Life is the main subject matter on which Peter has concentrated. In the tradition of still life painting, he paints all his subjects from life, using only natural light. This light transforms simple objects in Peter’s still life compositions into visually exciting images full of vibrant colour combinations. He strives to capture the effects of light as it affects various surfaces on objects such as fruit, bottles, earthenware vessels, etc. He conveys a sense of drama in his paintings by the arrangement of the objects and their relationship to the space around them. Peter works in oils and his classical realism style is influenced by contemporary Dutch still life painters. The work of David Leffel and Greg Kreutz, both contemporary New York still life artists is a source of inspiration as also is the work of the Dutch artist Henk Helmantel. Irish artists Padraig Lynch and James English also influence his work.
Peter generated great interest when he first exhibited his work publicly in 2002. He has been consistently successful in selling his paintings in galleries and at various exhibitions.
· Dublin Painting & Sketching Club Annual Exhibitions
· Dublin Art Society Annual Exhibitions
· Carysfort Gallery, Dublin
· Waldock Gallery, Dublin
· Combridge Gallery, Dublin
· Gallery 4, Dublin
· Group Shows at Kennedy’s Art Gallery, Dublin
· The Clifden Gallery, Co Galway
· Evalyn Dunn Gallery, New Jersey, USA
· Fundraising Exhibitions – Alexandra College, Terenure College, St Michael’s College, St Michael’s House, Peter McVerry Trust, Blackrock Hospice, Our Lady’s Hospice etc